In this post, we will take a closer look at the Eagle Creek Marathon Gas Station (5820 West 56th St, Indianapolis, IN 46254) that is owned by the same developer. We will examine the location, traffic, crime, health department violations, tobacco violation, assessment value and alcohol/tobacco licenses. This may help us understand the potential type and quality of a gas station, convenience store and retail shops we could expect at 86th & Lafayette Road.
The Eagle Creek Marathon is located on the north east corner of 56th and Lafayette Road on the north west side of Indianapolis. It is 4.9 miles south of the proposed gas station at 86th and Lafayette Road.
The property is owned by Six Mile Investments (Source) and according to the Indiana Secretary of State, gas station developer Gurpreet Singh is a principle. Gurpreet is also the registered agent for Three Mile Properties which is responsible for the proposed gas station at 8562 Lafayette Road. (Source)
Tobacco Violation – Selling Cigarettes to a Minor
On December 1, 2014 an inspector representing the United States Food and Drug Administration observed either the owner or an employee sell cigarettes to a minor at the Eagle Creek Marathon. You can view the warning letter that was issued here: (Source)
The violations observed during the December 1, 2014, inspection include the following:
1. A minor was able to buy Newport Box cigarettes on December 1, 2014, at approximately 6:37 PM in the establishment.
A retailer must NOT sell cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, and/or smokeless tobacco to a person younger than 18 years of age. Doing so violates 21 C.F.R. § 1140.14(a).
2. No one in the establishment checked the minor’s identification before the sale of Newport Box cigarettes on December 1, 2014, at approximately 6:37 PM.
A retailer MUST check a photographic identification that includes a date of birth for any person under the age of 27 who attempts to purchase cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, and/or smokeless tobacco. Failure to do so violates 21 C.F.R. § 1140.14(b)(1).
Marion County Health Department Violations
Here is a list of the Marion County Public Health Department Inspections for the Eagle Creek Marathon. (Source) It appears that health department violations are a common theme and often require multiple rechecks before they are addressed.
Just in the last year, the Eagle Creek Marathon has had the following violations (most happened earlier this year):
- Propane tanks located inside of the establishment
- Food not held at the proper temperature.
- Toxic materials stored next to food products and service items
- Food preparation equipment soiled.
- Food handler not wearing hair restraints
- Trash cans heavily soiled
- Ceiling tiles stained
- Floor soiled
- Improper installation of fixed equipment and sealing
- Shelves and drain lines in cooler soiled
- Flour bin soiled
- No test kit to check sanitizer levels
- Hand sink faucet leaks
- Cardboard lining shelves on sales floor
- Plastic cup used for scoop in sugar container
- Ice dispensing platform soiled
- Food stored in unprotected manner
- No thermometer in cooler
- Vent hood soiled
- Previously cooked fried chicken stored in used plastic grocery bags in cooler
- Pizza lamp not holding pizza at proper temperatures
- Establishment missing “No Smoking” Sign.
Here is a list of all of the crime reports that have been filed for 5820 West 56th Street since 2010:
Here are the crime statistics & trends for about a one mile radius around the Eagle Creek Marathon gas station:
According to the latest traffic numbers the city provided (from 2011) the average daily traffic (ADT) near the Marathon Gas Station is 16,572. They do not have traffic counts on Lafayette Road North of I-65. If we compare this location with the 86th Street average daily traffic counts (~5,800 ADT) at the proposed 86th Street Gas Station, the 56th Street location receives nearly 3 times the traffic. (Source)
The property was purchased in 2014 for $1,100,000 but according to city records, the tax assessment is only at $516,800. This is a difference of $583,200 (between assessment & market value) that is not being taxed resulting in lost support of local schools. It is usual for there to be some discrepancy, but not at such a low ratio. (Source)
Tobacco & Alcohol License
The Eagle Creek Marathon has been licensed to sell alcohol & tobacco (Source)
As always, we would welcome any additional information to improve what we have collected (use the “Contact Us” form). Please use this information to draw your own conclusions.